I owe $15,000 in medical fees& the doctor has a collection company coming at me very aggressively. What should be my next step?

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

What is the like outcome in terms of a settle amount?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Answered . Every situation is different and yours may depend on what the doctor is willing to settle for and whether you will make payments or a lump payment.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was... more
  2. Answered . Debt collectors can be aggressive without breaking the law but certain practices are illegal. If you think that the collection company has crossed the line contact an attorney, like me, that is familiar with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. As for settlement, it is hard to predict what might happen. You will likely get a better discount if you can pay a lump sum. Many debt collectors will insist on complete (or nearly complete) payment if a payment plan is agreed to. Make sure if you negotiate a payment plan that you can honor your commitments because some collection companies will include provisions in settlements that allow them to accelerate collection if you miss a payment.

    The information contained in this posting is for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal... more
  3. Answered . Any settlement depends upon two factors: (1) the amount that you are willing (and can afford) to pay and (2) whether your doctor is willing to settle and for how much. In my own practice, I've had a fair amount of success in offering a smaller, lump sum payment in lieu of the full amount paid over installments. That said, it's best to consult an attorney in order to determine whether this path best suits your needs.

  4. Answered . Like the previous attorneys have said, a lump sum is the best way to handle it. How much you should offer depends on several factors, the most important being how old the judgment is. The closer it is to 6 years old, the larger the discount you can ask for.

    One strategy I have used in the past for smaller amounts may yet work for you. Contact the doctor directly, give him your sob story, apologize for your tardiness, ask for his good will and make the settlement offer. Send a handwritten note to the Doctor personally (not the offic manager). Send it Priority Mail, so you can make sure it is delivered. Doctors hate bad publicity.

    Note, too, if this is a hospital bill, there are different things you should be considering, especially if there was no insurance involved.

  5. Answered . All third party collectors are subject to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. If you feel the collector is being abusive, you should contact a qualified consumer attorney in your area.

Related Topics

Debt collection and debt settlement

If you face debt collection you may choose to fight it and defend against garnishment. You may also seek debt settlement as a way to negotiate with creditors.

Ryan Hardy

Accord and Satisfaction in Arizona

In Arizona, two parties can agree to a lesser amount than what is actually owed. In order for this to occur, there needs to be a clear indicator that a full satisfaction of the debt is... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,998 answers this week

3,725 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,998 answers this week

3,725 attorneys answering