I never signed ANYTHING but have paid my lawyer $7000 already. can i get my money back?

Asked over 3 years ago - San Antonio, TX

all the lawyer has done is reset the court date 3 times.

1. Jonathan Craig Reed

Pro

Best Answer

Answered . I suggest you directly tell your lawyer, face to face, that you are unhappy and would like your money back. If the lawyer is a decent guy, really hasn't done much, and sees you have a point, the lawyer may just write you a full refund check if the lawyer can afford to do so. Legally, unless you paid a non-refundable retainer, the lawyer should have put the $7,000 in his trust account only withdrawing money as he earned it. Certainly, he can claim he earned some of it. If I had a client in my office talking to me directly I would be more inclined to resolve a dispute in the client's favor than if I get a letter from the client's new attorney saying I am fired and demanding an accounting of my fee. Of course, that's just the way I would react. Other attorneys will react differently.

2. Sammy Eugene Lucario Jr.

Answered . You can hire another attorney, ask for a final billing statement detailing all work done on the case, and get a refund for the remaining balance.