I needed to know couldnt i just represent myself for ssi hearing. Had lawyer lastime didnt do anything. nothin i couldnt do.

Asked about 2 years ago - Center Point, IA

problem i was denied cause im exfelon 17yrs ago. had two drinkn in publics that same year.

1. Dennis Alan Palso

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with Mr. Alston and add that when representing someone in a Social Security or SSI case, the majority of the work I do is not at the hearing sitting there with my client. It could have been that your lawyer submitted proper records, residual function capacity forms, and argument to the judge before the hearing about which you are unaware.

2. Joel E. Fenton

1

Answered . It's difficult to answer your question regarding SSI and your previous hearing and experience with a lawyer. Social Security disability law is a technical area and it is possible that your attorney was inexperienced and did not know how to prepare for your case or how to handle a hearing effectively. On the other hand, I agree with other responders to this question regarding the possibility that you weren't aware of the work performed by your lawyer because much of it was involved with hearing preparation, gathering of medical records, etc. You mention a previous criminal issue - the general rule is that an incarcerated person cannot receive SS disability benefits, but a felony conviction from a number of years ago should not have been a bar to receiving benefits without further issues concerning your eligibility or medical history. Feel free to give me a call or e-mail me if you have any specific questions as I am an Iowa attorney who handles Social Security disability and SSI cases.

3. Robert C. Alston

2

Answered . I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with your previous lawyer. While it is true that you can represent yourself, do you know the social security regulations and are you really capable of trial practice such as cross-examine vocational expert which may appear at your hearing. No matter how good your attorney, there may be facts in your case which will make it very difficult to win. A consultation with an attorney should be free so I would suggest you talk to one and see what they say.