I need two simple wills. Can I use legalzoom.com?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Atlanta, GA

I need two, very simple wills. I am single. I have no kids. I am unmarried. I am currently living with my mother. My mother owns a home and 5 acres of land. I have money in a checking and savings account, a car, and some 401K money. My mother is already the beneficiary on my 401K money and the $200K life insurance policy I have on myself. These wills need to be very simple. In the advent of my death, I want my mother to get everything I own. If my mother dies before I do, she wants to leave everything she has to me. That is basically it. My question is can I use a service like legal zoom to prepare these simple wills, or do I need an attorney? If I use an attorney, how much should I expect to pay for two simple wills like this? My goal is to simply avoid going through probate court.

1. Rachel Lea Hunter

12

1

Best Answer

Answered . There is really no such thing as a "simple" will. Today, people have prior marriages/divorces and blended families or they want to disinherit someone. Or there may be other circumstances which take it out of the realm of a "simple" will. If there is anything unusual in your situation at all, then its not a simple will. And you would only know after consulting with an attorney, not relying on your own assessment.

Regarding Legal Zoom, there was an article in a recent issue of Consumer Reports on this. I suggest that you read it before you make your purchase on Legal Zoom. Try going to your local library or see if you can locate it.

While Legal Zoom may be fine for some people and situations, these do-it-yourself will kits may or may not comply with Georgia-law. Moreover, even if the will is fine, you may do something which causes a problem.

Don't let your legacy be an expensive lawsuit for your loved ones caused by you trying to save a few dollars now. Wills generally are not all that expensive. I recommend that you have a consult with a Georgia-licensed attorney and have the attorney draft your will to make sure that it comports with Georgia law.

While you give a description of some assets, this is by no means enough. For my clients, I have a 6-page questionnaire about assets/debts.

And why do you need 2 wills? Is one for your mother? Its not clear from your post. If so, your mother needs her own will and your post contains no details about her assets/debts.

Finally, there is no way to avoid probate totally. The only way to minimize probate is to get what is called a revocable living trust. There are guidelines that I use to determine whether or not a trust is something that is needed. Trusts are generally more expensive and labor-intensive to make sure that the trust is adequately funded. If done correctly, then they are a valuable vehicle for tax pursposes and to minimize probate. However, trusts are not something that should be done with a do-it-yourself kit from Legal Zoom.

Price depends on what the going rate is in your area. Shop around and ask estate planning attorneys the average price they charge for a will. Just to give you a ballpark idea, I have seen wills ranging from $99 to $250 per will for a complete estate planning package (includes a financial and healthcare power of attorney and living will/advance directive). I would not let cost be your guide. You probably do not need the most expensive attorney in town. Nor should you go with the cheapest. Rather, you should select a competent attorney with whom you feel comfortable.

Or try this site - I am sure that there are more than few attorneys here who will be happy to draft a will for you at a reasonable price.

2. Diane Beth Weinberg

Pro

10

1

Answered . I want to agree with my colleagues and add two other points. First, probate in Georgia is not an expensive, burdensome process as it is in other states. There may be good reasons to avoid probate (such as owning property in one of those states which has a burdensome probate process), and an attorney can advise you on whether you have any probate-avoidance issues.

Secondly, wills must be signed with a certain formality. If those guidelines are not met, the will is invalid. Many people with "simple" estates thought that they could get away with an on-line program, but they ended up being intestate because the will was not signed with the appropriate formalities. Thus, the small fee they paid for the "simple" will ended up being a waste of money. Spend the money to get your will done properly.

3. Robert A. Stumpf

8

1

Answered . You can, but it might be a case of being penny wise and dollar foolish. How do you know a will is even your best option? That's why you need a lawyer- to tell you these things.

4. Steven J. Fromm

8

1

Answered . Do not consider this for one minute. It is a huge mistake. Both attorneys offer sound advice and you need to have some estate planning done here. For more on estate planning and other issues, see Estate Planning Mistakes: 5 Not So Easy Pieces at http://www.sjfpc.com/estate_planning_drafting_w.... Please hit the like button at the end of the article if you found it helpful.
    I will make my point with one comment. What happens if your mom predeceases you and you have drafted this so-called simple will. What happens to your wealth and who administers your estate if she dies first. Stop messing around here and sit down with an estates attorney who can give you insight and guidance. These legal zoom companies offer no advice and planning and documentation expertise. Do not do this on your own.
    Hope this helps.

Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336, his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , for more tax, estate and business articles visit his website www.sjfpc.com. and blog

5. Duncan Hamilton Adams

6

1

Answered . Greetings:

Please do not use legal zoom to write two wills. It's not worth the risk. This is especially true if you want to make sure that assets are non-probate assets.

As you will note on legal zoom in their "Disclaimer", they state this is not legal advice and for informational purposes only. How they can get away with this, I don't know.

Lastly, and to make it short, legal zoom can create problems beyond your imagination. DO NOT USE THEM IF YOU EXPECT TO HAVE ESTATE AFFAIRS SET UP CORRECTLY AND "PLAY OUT CORRECTLY".

We are looking at land and hundreds of thousands of dollars. I am quite sure it is well worth two $500 wills to make sure matters are handled correctly. Additionally, you need POA for General Purposes and a DHC (also called a POA for healthcare or durable power of attorney for health care). I suspect for another $250 on top of each $500 ($750 for a will General POA, and DHC/Health Care POA), you should get some good quality work that is easy to change if times or circumstances change (since docs are in Microsoft Word/Word Perfect) in case changes need to be made.

So, do it right. It's not worth the worry, hassle, and potential for severe and terrible consequences to occur.

Sir, call my Firm, we will do all 6 documents for $1,000.00

With Best Regards,

Duncan H. Adams

THE ADAMS LAW OFFICES, LLC
    3525 Piedmont Road, N.E.
    Seven Piedmont Center, Suite 203
    Atlanta, Georgia 30305

Atlanta (Buckhead) Office (Main): (404) 467-8611
    Atlanta (Buckhead) Facsimile: (404) 467-8609
    Atlanta (Direct to Office): 678-733-8924

Atlanta (Midtown) Office: (404) 941-7695
    Atlanta (Midtown) Facsimile: (678) 705-3630

Toll Free: 1-877-412-3267

6. Darrell Brinnett Reynolds Sr.

6

Answered . I agree will the previous posting. Get an attorney to do your will right. The cost is well worth the expense. If you would like to discuss the matter further, please feel free to give us a call at 404-636-6616.

7. Stuart L. O'Brien

6

1

Answered . As an American, you have the right to make your own decisions even if it is against your own best interests. You can create a will through legal zoom, but it will NOT acheive your goal of avoiding probate. A basic understanding of the forces at work is required. In its most basic sense, a will serves as instructions to the Probate court as to how you wish your estate to be administered. What you really need is some advise on basic probate avoidance techniques, whether that includes use of a trust, POD/TOD, joint tenancy, or other non-probate transfer vehicles is a matter for a more detailed discussion.

8. Robert E. Millsap III

5

1

Answered . You have some pretty complete answers above. I just wanted to point out one other issue.

I understand the need to be frugal. However, a will is not just for you. It is also designed to put your affairs into order so that someone else can step in and help fulfill your intent both during life and after you have died. Do not increase the work of others in such a daunting task without giving them good quality documents to perform.

I sometimes tell clients that everyone, no matter whether they are rich poor, married single, etc has a life as big as a one acre lawn with all their life, financial and health experiences and issues. Don't ask someone to come over to your place in a time of need to mow that lawn with just a push mower in the garage. If they care enough about you to be willing to step in, care enough about them to give them the proper tools to succeed. Get a good estate plan. It will save money in the long run because death is a certainty and many of us have a disabling event before we pass away.

9. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

5

1

Answered . Simple wills do not avoid probate.
    You need to discuss other options like
    a trust to avoid probate.
    Nothing could replace a face to face
    meeting with an attorney to discuss your options.

10. Jonathan Craig Reed

Pro

4

1

Answered . Never be shy about calling up a law firm and asking what they charge. You may find that you can have a face to face meeting with a lawyer and get your wills done that way for the same price or not much more than what LegalZoom will charge you for a computer interaction.

There is good and bad about the U.S. Supreme Court's legalization of lawyer advertising in the late 1970's. The bad is the never ending stream of tv commercials. The good is that you can call a lawyer and ask about price and in most cases expect a straight answer without having to make an appointment.