Skip to main content

I need to write an explanation letter explaining why I haven't filed taxes but unsure what exactly it is I need to include

Jersey City, NJ |

I am a student and just married my wife, who is from the UK. We have a co-sponsor willing to help us, as my income alone doesn't meet the requirement.

I know that I need to write a letter explaining my reasons for not filing taxes, but I'm unsure of what is needed exactly. Also, our co-sponsor has only filed taxes for two years, would he also need to write an explanation letter for not filing three years ago? I'd appreciate any help with this, thank you!

Attorney Answers 3


This is an immigration law issue. You should try that forum. From the look of things, you need an immigration lawyer.

This answer is made for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party, any partnership, investment plan, arrangement, legal structure or other transaction addressed herein.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

1 comment

Richard Albert Luthmann

Richard Albert Luthmann


You should consult with Alan Peyrouton in Union City - 201-686-9538. Be sure to use my name.


I moved this over to the immigration board. Maybe somebody there can answer.

Christopher Larson
Insight Law

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


You need to explain why you didn't file taxes. If it was because you had zero income, explain that. The same goes for your cosponsor.

However, remember that merely living overseas is not a reason not to file taxes. The immigration process is very complicated. Going through it without a lawyer is a risky proposition.

Mark as helpful

Tax law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics