I need to understand my rights for children after school

Asked over 2 years ago - Oakland, CA

My son is picked up by an after school after his school closes. A few days back, my son has to be in the police station as the after school van did not have my son in a car seat. We were called and asked to pick our child as the cop would not let my son go until he personally informs the parent about the after school recklessness.
When i talked to the after school, they assured me that it won't happen again. But i am not sure as to whether they really worked on it.
Somehow these days, i am getting a little tensed.
Could someone explain me what are my rights. I don't want that anyone else child also should be without a car seat as it could be really risky to even think about it.

1. Rhiannon Michelle Safford

Answered . Effective 1/1/2012, children under the age of 8 must be restrained in a car seat or booster seat in the rear of a vehicle. If the child is under age 8, but is at least 4 feet 9 inches tall, they may be restrained in a regular seat belt without a car seat or booster seat, but they must still ride in the rear of a vehicle.

Check with your after school care provider, you may need to provide a car seat or booster seat for your child that can be kept with the provider.