Skip to main content

I need to transfer title of a car to my daughter.

San Antonio, TX |
Filed under: Car loan Vehicle title

I helped my 18 y/o buy a new car 2 years ago, thinking I would get a lower interest rate. I want to transfer the car to her name. She has paid all of the payments ahead of time. She deserves to build her credit on this. Toyota Finacial wants to charge $200 to transfer title. She asked her bank for a loan, decision pending. What's cheaper? Do I pay taxes as a seller in Texas? Can we just transfer and avoid taxes? It's always been her car, I made an error. What's the best/cheapest way out of this for both my daughter and I?

Attorney Answers 2


If the transfer to your daughter is a gift, the tax would be only $10.00. Effective as of September 1, 2009, Section 152.025 of the Tax Code was amended to read as follows:
(a) A tax is imposed on the recipient of a gift of a motor vehicle. This section applies only if the person receiving the motor vehicle:
(1) receives the vehicle from:
(A) the person's:
(i) spouse;
(ii) parent or stepparent;
(iii) grandparent or grandchild;
(iv) child or stepchild;
(v) sibling; or
(vi) guardian; or
(B) a decedent's estate; or
(2) is exempt from federal income taxation under Section 501(a), Internal Revenue Code of 1986, by being listed as an exempt organization under Section 501(c)(3) of that code, and the vehicle will be used for the purposes of the organization.
(b) The tax is $10. Tex. Tax Code Ann. § 152.025

Legal disclaimer: This answer is not legal advice, but is for informational purposes only. My answer to your question does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. Please contact a licensed attorney in your area for competent legal advice.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Just make a gift as suggested by previous answer.
Good luck

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

1 comment

Lori Jeanne Costanzo

Lori Jeanne Costanzo


Any change of the registered owner or lienholder (legal owner) of a vehicle is usually considered to be a change in ownership that must be updated on the records at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If the change is due to: Sale or gift; Adding or deleting the name of an owner; Inheritance; satisfaction of lien (full payment of car loan).

Car loan topics

Recommended articles about Car loan

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics