I need to request a DNA test in the state of NC for paternity purposes. I've got questions on how to proceed.

Raleigh, NC |

The lapcorp company said the test is $550, however the link I have here says the cost is $30: http://info.dhhs.state.nc.us/olm/manuals/dss/cse/man/CSEcI-04.htm#P482_48667
When questioned about that, lapcorp said I need to file a claim with the DHHS, but when questioned, the DHHS had no idea what I was talking about. The mother has said she will contact her lawyer and draw up evidentiary stipulation paperwork. What exactly do I need to do, and how do I file a claim for the DHHS to pay for the test? Or will we be responsible for paying for that?

Is there a pending action in court for either child support or child custody? If so, you can request to have paternity established. With a court order to have paternity established (DNA test) the cost will be the lesser of the two. I cannot say for sure that the cost is $30 but it will definitely not be $550. You will be responsible for the cost of the test.

This information provided is general in nature and does not create an attorney client privilege. Please consult with an attorney to get a more detailed and specific answer to your legal matter.

2. Cost of testing can vary significantly depending on if you are getting a "chain of custody" paternity test (i.e. one that can be used at trial) and just a run of the mill paternity test that many courts will not accept because they cannot verify that the results have not been tampered with. DHHS will usually subsidize or cover the cost of paternity testing if your child support/paternity case is going through their office. However, if the mother has filed a private action against you, then the two of you will likely share the cost of paternity testing.

This attorney is licensed in the State of Texas only and this information does not constitute legal advice. If you are seeking legal advice, please consult with an attorney at your earliest convenience.