I need to request a DNA test in the state of NC for paternity purposes. I've got questions on how to proceed.

Asked over 1 year ago - Raleigh, NC

The lapcorp company said the test is $550, however the link I have here says the cost is $30: http://info.dhhs.state.nc.us/olm/manuals/dss/cs...
When questioned about that, lapcorp said I need to file a claim with the DHHS, but when questioned, the DHHS had no idea what I was talking about. The mother has said she will contact her lawyer and draw up evidentiary stipulation paperwork. What exactly do I need to do, and how do I file a claim for the DHHS to pay for the test? Or will we be responsible for paying for that?

1. Rhonda Graham Young

1

Best Answer

Answered . Is there a pending action in court for either child support or child custody? If so, you can request to have paternity established. With a court order to have paternity established (DNA test) the cost will be the lesser of the two. I cannot say for sure that the cost is $30 but it will definitely not be $550. You will be responsible for the cost of the test.

2. Calli Diane Baldwin

Answered . Cost of testing can vary significantly depending on if you are getting a "chain of custody" paternity test (i.e. one that can be used at trial) and just a run of the mill paternity test that many courts will not accept because they cannot verify that the results have not been tampered with. DHHS will usually subsidize or cover the cost of paternity testing if your child support/paternity case is going through their office. However, if the mother has filed a private action against you, then the two of you will likely share the cost of paternity testing.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now