I need to renew my R1 visa, expires in December 2012.

Asked over 2 years ago - Brooklyn, NY

When do I start filing the paperwork and if I don't get an approval by December am I allowed to be in the US until the approval comes through. Also when the approval comes would I need to go to the embassy in my home country?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

13

Answered . You cannot apply for an extension this early. Apply about 6 months in advance. You will only need to go abroad if you want to apply for a new visa to travel abroad.

2. Neil Ian Fleischer

Answered . Mr Shusterman is correct. If you timely file , you can stay in the US pending adjudication of your case.

www.immigrate2usa.com

3. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . You can apply for an extension no more than six months prior to the expiration of your current I-94. You are allowed to remain in the US until USCIS makes a decision, provided the request for the extension was filed before the I-94 expires.