Skip to main content

I need to reinstate my IL license, but have a warrant out for my arrest in MD. How can I settle this at a distance?

Chicago, IL |

I have a warrant out for my arrest for failure to appear for a DUI in the state of Maryland back in 2005. I am an Illinois resident and need to reinstate my IL license. I have been trying to sort it out at a distance since I am far along in my pregnancy. MD courts demand that I appear in court since it is a case from 2005. I submitted a letter from my doctor stating I was “prohibited to travel” because of my high-risk pregnancy and the court issued another warrant for my arrest for failing to appear. I have no other violations, this has simply kept me unable to reinstate my IL license. What can I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


There is nothing you can do until you are fit to travel to MD and resolve the issue there. As the MD court requires your appearance, there is no way to get around that. Hire MD counsel and be ready to travvel when you can.


You need to talk to a locally experienced DUI attorney in MD. While it may be possible to defeat the case, you need to deal with this sooner rather than later. Good luck with everything.

Jasen Nielsen


You need to consult a and retain a local IL criminal law attorney who is familiar with the judges & court procedures. Many attorneys will offer a free initial consultations. You can locate a local IL attorney right here on AVVO by using the tab "Find A Lawyer" Good Luck

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

Michael R Crosner

Michael R Crosner




You should contact an attorney in MD to help you clear up the warrant. If you want to fid one here on AVVO select "Find a Lawyer" at the top of the page.


You cannot. Any outstanding Bench Warrant for one's arrest requires quashing and recalling that warrant with a court appearance and completion of this MD matter to a final disposition.
If we had a legal system that permitted quashing any warrants without appearance that would be Utopia.
Secondly, Illinois Secretary of State will not reinstate driving privileges with an outstanding Warrant for one's arrest as it is not permitted.
First order of business, you need to retain a MD licensed attorney to complete that criminal matter to a final disposition and only then you may be eligible for reinstatement in Illinois.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


Does IL show you have a failure to appear suspension or a revocation only? If it's FTA then yes you need a MD lawyer.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer