I need to pay a lump sum for divorce. I borrowed the money & need to know if there's a certain way I should hand it over?

Asked 5 months ago - Petaluma, CA

The judgement gave me a date to pay by, its 2 days away. I need to know if I just write a check, or should I go to the courthouse on the first business day which is Monday?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Miguel Angel Iniguez

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I've changed the category as payment pursuant to a divorce decree is generally not a debt settlement issue and payment instruction should be in the decree.

  2. Jaye L. Samuels

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . The payment should be traceable, so make sure you are using a check to pay. I would also take advantage of the memo line and write something along the lines of "full settlement of divorce pay out". If your ex had an attorney, I would recommend going through them by writing a nice cover letter stating that the check is the payment and that you would ask them to forward the same to your ex. That way they have a record of the fact you sent the check and if your ex comes back claiming you did not pay, his/her attorneys know that is not the case. You should also keep a copy of the check and the cover letter for your own records. Sending it by certified mail and keeping a copy of the green card that gets returned to you so you have proof it was received is also a good idea.

  3. Gregory Paul Benton

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Lump sum payment for what and payable to whom?

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,389 answers this week

2,819 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,389 answers this week

2,819 attorneys answering