Skip to main content

I need to modify my child support. My income is less now.

Downers Grove, IL |

I make less money now about 15%, than a year ago. What do I have to do to change it. Who much is it going to cost me? My ex wants to "Prove UP". What is that?

Attorney Answers 3


You have to file a Petition for Modification.
By "Prove Up", she probably means she wants the judge to hear the case.
Some courts require that you file a Financial Disclosure Statement.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


If your income has decreased, you need to file a motion to modify child support. The sooner you do it the better as your support will be modified effective the date you serve notice of your motion on you ex. While you can try to accomplish this yourself, you are much better of hiring an attorney to help you. You are fortunate that here are many good lawyers in your area. Speak to one o more and hire the one you like best.

Your ex wanting to "prove up" does not make sense. Speak to your lawyer about that.

Mark as helpful

11 lawyers agree


if you have a lawyer contact her. You need to file a Motion to Modify. It is not clear if this is temporary support or not. A prove up is what is done at the end of a divorce case to make your agreement final in court before the judgment is signed by the court.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics