Skip to main content

I need to make payments in a civil matter of $8000 I wrote to the plaintiffs attorney and she said no.. I had to pay in full

Concord, CA |

I need to make payments how should I do this?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Let the plaintiff's attorney know that you are willing to pay, and enclose a check for what you can. If the attorney refuses the check, the plaintiff will just have to wait until either you can pay, or they employ collection methods to have the sheriff "take your stuff" and auction it off to pay the judgment.

    I am an Attorney-at-Law, licensed to practice law only in the state of California. Unless we have both signed a formal retainer agreement, you are not my client, and my discussion of issues does not constitute legal advice. Opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of those who hold other opinions.

  2. Plaintiff's attorney is playing hardball on behalf of her/his client--exactly las he or she is supposed to do. If you can't come to some accomodation, the attorney may move in court to enforce the judgment and could garnish wages/seize property etc.

    NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

  3. You are not being clear. When you say you need topay 8k is that a balance due under a contract or a partial settlement or a court judgment? Depending on your answer why would an attorney say no unless you were offering less than due which is e key fact you have not provided about the nature of the dispute and what is claimed and what you think is due??? Help us here so you get a good answer.

    My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained. Please click "helpful" or "best answer" if my answer added any value or add a "comment" if you have more info for me to help you get a better answer.