I need to know what rights I have as a "booth renter" in a salon in Williamson county -

Cedar Park, TX |

the owner refuses any payment other than cash - is now trying to extort money out of me I do not owe - I have kept very accurate records & now because she thinks I may be planning to open my own place she has assessed rent at rates higher than what was agreed to and is trying to force me to sign an agreement that I owe this money when I do not demanding I turn over my rights to all equipment supplies and personal property until this fictitious balance is paid initially she said it was over $5000 raised it to over $8000 when I informed her she was wrong she lowered it to $5005 the rental discrepancies alone are over $4500 and she has not credited some rent payments - there was a period I was ill and got behind - as well as some other financial issues but my records show I am current

Hopefully you have receipts for the cash payments. If this goes to court, it will be your word against hers. The judge will decide.

Actively practicing law in Texas. Inactive licenses in Arizona and Georgia. All answers are general in nature and no attorney/client relationship exists in this forum.

You need to look carefully at the lease. The landlord should not normally be allowed to raise rent. If there is a dispute of payment, any receipts should be helpful. The lease should also address the type of payment the landlord can receive.

Landlord-tenant topics