I need to know if there is any way to avoid the 10% early withdrawal penalty on my IRA account.

Seattle, WA |

I was let go from my job because in their opinion I didn't return from medical leave on time. I've had three strokes (Aug.30 2012- Sept.28 2012 and Oct.15 2012) I am currently receiving disability from Cigna and have a company working on getting my social security disability approved. I plan on going back to work at some point but I'm not sure when that might be.

There are a few limited exceptions that may apply to your situation. If you are unemployed, you can use the withdrawals to pay insurance premiums while unemployed. Another exception is if get a disability letter from social security that states that you are totally and permanent disabled disabled.

You may have a disability exception-
Best bet-discuss with an attorney to determine if you qualify.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

The lawyer handling your SSDI application might be able to help.

This posting is for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship. For more information, please visit www.justinelderlaw.com.

Wills and estates topics