I need to know if there is any way to avoid the 10% early withdrawal penalty on my IRA account.

I was let go from my job because in their opinion I didn't return from medical leave on time. I've had three strokes (Aug.30 2012- Sept.28 2012 and Oct.15 2012) I am currently receiving disability from Cigna and have a company working on getting my social security disability approved. I plan on going back to work at some point but I'm not sure when that might be.

Seattle, WA -

Justin Eric Elder

Justin Eric Elder

Estate Planning Attorney - Seattle, WA

The lawyer handling your SSDI application might be able to help.

Dagmar Pollex

Dagmar Pollex

Estate Planning Attorney - Quincy, MA

There are a few limited exceptions that may apply to your situation. If you are unemployed, you can use the withdrawals to pay insurance premiums while unemployed. Another exception is if get a disability letter from social security that states that you are totally and permanent disabled disabled.

Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Estate Planning Attorney - Largo, FL

You may have a disability exception-
Best bet-discuss with an attorney to determine if you qualify.