Skip to main content

I need to know how to file for emancipation ! I have no financial support from any family members and I need help !

Bronx, NY |
Filed under: Family law

I am transferring to a college in California and my mom will no longer support me financially . I need to file legally emancipated so that I am able to go to school . If I am still under her legally , I will not be able to pay for college since fas fa will follow her income . I need help to file for emancipation because I really want to stay in school and I don't have any support . Please help me !

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    I assume you are under 21? If so, your school's financial aid office should be able to assist you with the applications you need. You may otherwise consider filing your own child support petition in court seeking either an order of support, or alternatively a declaration of emancipation. Should you need assistance with same, I then suggest you call a Bronx Co. Child Support lawyer to schedule a consultation.

    * If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

  2. One of the tests for emancipation, ironically, is exactly what you seek, which is financial support (the ability to support yourself). How old are you?

    The above is not intended to be legal advice, but may be used for general information. Please contact an attorney for specific help tailored to your needs.

  3. If you want your parents to support you, then you can file for child support from your parents in family court.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics