I need to get a passport for my daughter but her father is in jail, how can I do that?

Asked 12 months ago - West Sacramento, CA

My daughter is 20 months and I want to spend out to the country for two weeks with family. How do i get her a passport if her father is not there to sign the papers.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Cinthia I Rivera

    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I would suggest that you contact the local sheriff's department closest to the jail where the father is incarcerated. You can pay the sheriff to take the father the forms you need signed and have the sheriff mail the forms back to you. That would be the easiest and safest way to get the signature you need.,

  2. Sean Michael Patrick

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . It depends on your custody arrangements. Worst case scenario you can have him sign off while in custody.

    I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which... more
  3. John Grayson Davidson


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . I disagree. Both parents must provide parental consent regardless of custody arrangements. There is a lot of paperwork for you to provide, and it's too involved to list. Check the web site. Link below.

    Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 |ICannHelpYouNow.com | John1Davidson@gmail.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,130 answers this week

2,764 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,130 answers this week

2,764 attorneys answering