I need to get a passport for my daughter but her father is in jail, how can I do that?

West Sacramento, CA |

My daughter is 20 months and I want to spend out to the country for two weeks with family. How do i get her a passport if her father is not there to sign the papers.

It depends on your custody arrangements. Worst case scenario you can have him sign off while in custody.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

I disagree. Both parents must provide parental consent regardless of custody arrangements. There is a lot of paperwork for you to provide, and it's too involved to list. Check the web site. Link below.

Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 |ICannHelpYouNow.com | John1Davidson@gmail.com

I would suggest that you contact the local sheriff's department closest to the jail where the father is incarcerated. You can pay the sheriff to take the father the forms you need signed and have the sheriff mail the forms back to you. That would be the easiest and safest way to get the signature you need.,

Thank you so much, this is exactly what i am doing.