Skip to main content

I need to find out if one of the Beneficiary can sue me personally for not handling the estate the way he wanted?

Rapid City, SD |

I need to find out if one of my Aunt’s Beneficiary can sue me for not handling the estate the way he wanted? Can he personally sue me or must he sue the estate? I have a letter that his Lawyer sent me to this affect. The percentage was changed by the grantor that the Beneficiaries were to get. The grantor also notated on her will the changes and sent me a letter to that affect with copy of letter also attached to Will. It doesn’t look like she initialed or dated the change on the Will. Do I have to stay will the original percentage?
Also the money & property has already be distributed to the beneficiaries

The trust and Will was done in California.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Anyone can sue anyone(or estate).
    You cannot make changes on a will in the manner you described.
    You need to have an attorney to represent you in this matter.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

  2. Attorney Pippen is correct. If you do not have an attorney, please retain one as soon as possible. Good luck to you.

    This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor considered to be the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. I am licensed in Connecticut and New York and my answers are based upon the law in those jurisdictions. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if I were to review a client's file and have the opportunity to interview the client. Accordingly, I strongly urge you to retain an attorney in your jurisdiction with respect to any legal matter.

  3. The sooner you get an attorney to represent you in this matter the better. Otherwise you may have a big mess on your hands. Good Luck!

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics