I need to find a lawyer to sue my professor of fall 2012 . She had been discriminating me from the beginning of the semester.

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

I had good enough grades to pass the class but Professor failed me by accusing plagiarism. My class mate gave a paper with no reference at all, professor said Ok to her, but I gave a paper nothing missing she accused me not showing reference. She lost my short papers later blamed me not turning in them. I had to give my papers with the witness of my classmates. later she pick on me for not going in internship. I did not have to go internship I wanted to write thesis. She repeatedly reminded me she is the chair of the department so she has to approve graduation, internships, and everything about students. She wanted to show who has power in every simple subject with me. She is sabotaging my PHD application. She argued with me in every subject in the class.

1. Susan Grace Soto

Pro

2

Answered . If you are a member of a protected class and believe you are being treated differently than other students because of it, you may have a case. If not, but the way you are being treated violates school policy, you may have a case that you can address administratively, as my colleague suggested (i.e. through the grievance process). Keep in mind, however, that your professor's arguing with you and picking on you is not necessarily illegal - unprofessional, yes, but probably not a civil rights violation.

You may even have two separate issues to deal with - the accusation of plagiarism and your professor's unprofessional conduct towards you. I'd recommend considering consulting with an attorney, as others have suggested.

2. Herbert J Tan

3

Answered . You are not stating WHY she is doing this to you. Also, that basis must be in violation of a protected status.

Herbert Tan, Esq.
    E-mail: Herbert@tanlaws.com
    Website: www.tanlaws.com

The Mack Cali Building
    One Bridge Plaza North, Suite 275
    Fort Lee, New Jersey 07024
    (201) 654-0716

Manhattan Office
    305 Broadway, 14th Floor
    New York, New York 10007
    (914) 830-0215

Member of National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA)

3. David B Pittman

Pro

3

Answered . I do not see any proof that actual discrimination took place. If you have complaints with evidence of wrongdoing I would take it up with the schools administration.

4. Christine C McCall

Pro

3

Answered . If you are facing charges of breach of academic integrity based on allegations of plagiarism, then you have a very serious high-stakes problem and you will need to comply with your school's formal administrative appeals process to defend against the charges. Get a copy of the process from the Dean of Students or the Student Handbook. All of the procedural details are important, but the most important are the timelines. Be scrupulous in your compliance.

These are tough cases -- not by any means a level playing field. The school is the accuser, the rule-maker, the fact-finder, and the penalty-assessor. Students don't often prevail on the facts.

An attorney can assist you in preparing and presenting an effective and meaningful defense,negotiating a lesser penalty, or securing an agreement for sealing of the record and confidentiality.

Good luck to you.

5. Judy A. Goldstein

1

Answered . You have shown that you and your professor disagree but you have not shown any basis for a claim of discrimination. If you wish to sue your professor, you should discuss this matter in person with an attorney so that you can lay out all your facts and decide whether you have a viable case.

You can find a lawyer by clicking on the Find a Lawyer tab at the top of this page.