I need to find a lawyer to help answer some questions.

Little Falls, MN |

I was harassed at work from my boss because I was a woman. My boss lied to upper management to try to get me fired. My boss talked poorly about me to in front of other employees and behind my back. I expressed my concern on the phone and in writing for the way my boss and his boss were treating me and was told "I just might have to make some choices". I was injured and have been off work since the beginning of December. My employer said I had exhausted my family medical leave so they hired for my job, offered me medical insurance I couldn't afford, stripped my life insurance, and won't allow me to retain any job with them until I am 100%. The disability insurance through work (Cigna), paid one payment for short term and now has denied that and long term.

1. I am sorry for your mistreatment. I, like many attorneys, offer free 60 minute consultations and would be more than glad to talk with you about your situation.

Best of Luck --

Adam W. Klotz
    612.223.6767- Free Case Evaluations

The materials appearing on this website are provided for informational use only, and are in no way intended to constitute legal advice or the opinions of this attorney or affiliated law firm. Some jurisdictions would consider the materials appearing on this website to constitute advertising. Links that may appear on this site are intended solely for your convenience in identifying and accessing other sources of information, and are not to be construed as being endorsed by or affiliated with neither Attorney Adam Klotz nor Adam | William Legal.

2. I am a California attorney and not eligible to give legal advice in your state. My comments are for information only, based on federal law and general legal principles. YOUR STATE MAY HAVE ITS OWN LAWS THAT PROVIDE SIMILAR OR GREATER PROTECTION. If I refer to your state's laws, that only means I did a quick Internet search and found something that appeared relevant. You should not rely on any comment I make regarding your state's law. You MUST check with an attorney licensed in your state.

What a mess! I'm so sorry all this happened to you. There are many potential violations in your short statement of facts, including sex discrimination, defamation, retaliation, workers' compensation, Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, 42 U.S.C. sections 12101 et seq. (ADA), disability insurance bad faith, and a few more I may have missed. The Avvo board is not really set up to handle the kind of detailed analysis that is needed in your situation. Avvo works best for short, specific questions that allow for short, specific answers. Perhaps more importantly, anyone can read the discussions on Avvo so they are not confidential. Your employer or whomever you are in a dispute with can read everything written here.

As you note, you need an attorney. To find a plaintiffs employment attorney in your area, please go to the web site of the National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA). NELA is the largest and most influential bar association in the country for attorneys who represent working people. The web site is www.nela.org, and you can search for attorneys by location and practice area.

Also, NELA has affiliates in every state and in many cities. On the NELA web site, you can look at the list of affiliates. Some attorneys will be listed in the affiliate membership list, some in the national organization membership list, and some in both. Being listed in one or both lists should not influence your selection because attorneys can choose whether or not to purchase the listing in the national directory. Each local affiliate has its own rules for listing.

I hope you can resolve your situation and wish you the best.

*** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the deadline for filing your claim, you will lose the opportunity to pursue your case. Please consult with an experienced employment attorney as soon as possible to better preserve your rights. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer provides information on Avvo as a service to the public, primarily when general information may be of assistance. Avvo is not an appropriate forum for an in-depth response or a detailed analysis. These comments are for information only and should not be considered legal advice. Legal advice must pertain to specific, detailed facts. No attorney-client relationship is created based on this information exchange. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, and can appear before administrative agencies throughout the country. She is eligible to represent clients in other states on a pro hac vice basis. ***