I need to find a lawyer that will help my husband try and reopen a disability claim.

San Jose, CA |

My husband had cancer and was on disability. He was told he was cured and taken off disability but he has had nothing but medical issues since then. We are trying to find an attorney that will go up against SSI to make them reopen his case. Right now he only gets $156.00 a month because they say he only qualifies for that because he has not worked since his cancer in 2006.

I would suggest he apply not only for SSI (supplemental income) but also SSDI (disability income) from SSA (Social Security Administration).

I am not sure I saw the words "Work Injury" to invoke Workers' Compensation analysis. You might need to be in the hallowed halls of our esteemed Social Security brethren.

We give free general concepts to be helpful, but you should give ALL your facts to a licensed Attorney in your state before you RELY upon any legal advice.

Brett A. Borah

Brett A. Borah

I agree and assumed that this was strictly a Social Security question. I didn't do it before but now I will forward this question along to the Social Security forum.

If you are trying to reopen a DIB claim, reopening a prior SSA decision can be done within 4 years. If you are trying to reopen an SSI decision, reopening is limited to decisions made within 2 years. I would have to have more information to know why your husband is receiving such a low monthly benefit.

This answer contains general information only and is not legal advice. Use of the internet to contact our firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Please consult an attorney regarding the facts of your individual case. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time that an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Brett A. Borah

Brett A. Borah

Mr. LaPorte is one of the top SSA lawyers around. If I ever need an SSA lawyer, he's at the top of my short list. You may want to give him a call and see if he can help.

Social security topics