I need to find a lawyer that will help my husband try and reopen a disability claim.

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Jose, CA

My husband had cancer and was on disability. He was told he was cured and taken off disability but he has had nothing but medical issues since then. We are trying to find an attorney that will go up against SSI to make them reopen his case. Right now he only gets $156.00 a month because they say he only qualifies for that because he has not worked since his cancer in 2006.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Brett A. Borah

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would suggest he apply not only for SSI (supplemental income) but also SSDI (disability income) from SSA (Social Security Administration).

  2. Robert Terence LaPorte

    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you are trying to reopen a DIB claim, reopening a prior SSA decision can be done within 4 years. If you are trying to reopen an SSI decision, reopening is limited to decisions made within 2 years. I would have to have more information to know why your husband is receiving such a low monthly benefit.

    This answer contains general information only and is not legal advice. Use of the internet to contact our firm... more
  3. George Ellis Corson IV

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I am not sure I saw the words "Work Injury" to invoke Workers' Compensation analysis. You might need to be in the hallowed halls of our esteemed Social Security brethren.

    We give free general concepts to be helpful, but you should give ALL your facts to a licensed Attorney in your... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,286 answers this week

3,103 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,286 answers this week

3,103 attorneys answering