I need to find a lawyer that will help my husband try and reopen a disability claim.

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Jose, CA

My husband had cancer and was on disability. He was told he was cured and taken off disability but he has had nothing but medical issues since then. We are trying to find an attorney that will go up against SSI to make them reopen his case. Right now he only gets $156.00 a month because they say he only qualifies for that because he has not worked since his cancer in 2006.

1. Brett A. Borah

3

Answered . I would suggest he apply not only for SSI (supplemental income) but also SSDI (disability income) from SSA (Social Security Administration).

2. Robert Terence LaPorte

2

Answered . If you are trying to reopen a DIB claim, reopening a prior SSA decision can be done within 4 years. If you are trying to reopen an SSI decision, reopening is limited to decisions made within 2 years. I would have to have more information to know why your husband is receiving such a low monthly benefit.

3. George Ellis Corson IV

1

Answered . I am not sure I saw the words "Work Injury" to invoke Workers' Compensation analysis. You might need to be in the hallowed halls of our esteemed Social Security brethren.