I need to file for a reduction in child support as my income has been reduced since my order was filed.

Asked 9 months ago - Capitol Heights, MD

I need expert advise on the details of reducing my child support payment. My ex of course has not been honest with the courts as I have remarried and have a 5 year old son now that the courts are not aware of. I made more when I was downrange as we call it but now I reside in Dubai with my wife and son. I work abroad and do not reside in the states at the moment. I now have bills to pay, as well as schooling for my son which is not cheap here. Any advise would be greatly appreciated?

1. Amanda Elizabeth Schmidt

1

Answered . Child support is typically based on gross monthly income. Any material change in circumstances could warrant a modification in child support; however, you should speak with an attorney to get an idea of what the modification might entail.

2. Shannon Leigh Kowitz

Answered . Please note that the fact that you have another child with additional expenses for that child cannot be the only reason to reduce child support. Please consult an attorney. Also, consult an attorney to determine whether your reduction in gross income is a "material " change in circumstance.