I need to file a demurrer in unlawful detainer case but only have 7 court days until the hearing. Can I still file?

Asked over 1 year ago - Escondido, CA

The landlord did not properly serve 3 day notice as required by law. This was defined in the answer, but the landlord was still granted a hearing / trial.

Just now, they have just served another 3-day pay or quit notice (i assume to do it properly) but there is still a hearing set. Thoughts, ideas?

Also; if I cannot do anything at this point and assuming I am still going to the hearing unable to get a demurrer - how do I request discovery of proof of service (that I know they cannot provide)

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

1

Answered . Your question is a bit cryptic. Generally speaking, a demurrer is not permitted in an unlawful detainer lawsuit. Moreover, improper service of the 3 day notice would be raised in the answer but would not be grounds for a demurrer.

The landlord can decide to proceed with the currently pending unlawful detainer trial. Or, the landlord can decide to dismiss the currently pending unlawful detainer and re-file a new complaint for unlawful detainer based upon the newly served 3 day notice to pay or quit.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now