I need to change from a G4 to an F1 . How can I apply for residency again ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Bethesda, MD

A legal site said that you can get residency on an F1 visa after five years of being in the States . I will have been in the States for the five years when my visa status needs to be changed . However , does this residency change on the F1 not apply to the years gained on a G4 ? The World Bank said it had to be at least fifteen . If it is fifteen , is there any way I can apply for residency on an F1 ( I can't afford the out - of - state tuition ) ?

1. Stephen D. Berman

Answered . You have been misinformed. There is no right to file for residency in the U.S. based on being an F1 student for five years.

2. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . F-1 visas are not a path to a green card.