I need to add my siblings to the Title of my home

Asked over 2 years ago - 85351

father just passed away, had beneficiary deed with my name on it only, need to add siblings to Title

1. Robert H Nagle

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . There are number of ways to do this (general, special and quitclaim deeds), but, more importantly, there are many ways to take title, each with their own consequences. So, the threshold question to me is, what are your (you and your siblings) plans with respect to your dad's house? If to sell it, I would recommend listing it for sale and then simply sharing in the proceeds. If one of you is to live in it, but you all own it, then you need a written understanding on what the long term game plan is. My point is that it is not as simple as just conveying the house out to the entire group.

2. April Miller-Lepage

1

1

Answered . First you will need to record the death certificate to put the title in your name. Depending on the value of the house, you may have gifting issues. I agree with the other attorney's response about needing to understand what your ultimate goals are before a plan for the best way to accomplish the goal. Another situation that could be better is to create a trust that addresses the concerns and title the property in the trust, instead of all the issues related to co-ownership.