I need someone to help me fill out a tax form. It's a long story but if any one can help....please!!!

I need someone to help me fill out a tax form. It's a long story but... I have to send proof that I paid taxes on the inheritance I received two years ago. I thought I had that covered but apparently I didn't do it right and now the IRS is saying I owe money. I talked with them and they told me what I need to do to appeal this but I have no idea how to fill out the form I was sent. They sent me form 5293. My mom died while both her homes were in foreclosure. We lost them both. My brother and I inherited a little over $7000 each from the only remaining IRA she had left after all dust settled. Now the IRS says I owe money. Besides going to a tax attorney or tax prepare, which neither can I afford, as a single parent with 2 children under 9. Can someone advise? Thank you

Sacramento, CA -

Dara J. Goldsmith

Dara J. Goldsmith

Guardianship Law Attorney - Las Vegas, NV

I agree with the other answers. You may also want to consider contacting the Volunteer Income Tax Assitance (VITA) in your community. You probbaly owe tax on the income inside the IRA since income tax was not collected from your mother on the monies placed in the IRA.

Scott J. Wittlin

Scott J. Wittlin

Tax Lawyer - Boston, MA

It may help to go to the local IRS office to have someone there assist you.

Louis Theodore Wierenga

Louis Theodore Wierenga

Tax Lawyer - Chicago, IL

The IRS can be contacted to assist you and every form the IRS publishes comes with instructions on what to do and are available online.

Stephen Scott Pearcy

Stephen Scott Pearcy

Tax Lawyer - Sacramento, CA

I know you said you can't afford a lawyer, but it might cost you more in the long run if you don't hire one to help you with the forms.

Related Advice