I need some guidance on an involuntary commitment of our daughter who is 27 years old, has a history of serious drug abuse.

Asked 11 months ago - Connell, WA

My daughter is not able to function in any capacity. She appears to be schizophrenic as she can't keep anything organized. She completed an inpatient treatment program in July but has relapsed numerous times since. She is unable to properly care for her 18 month old son. They have lived in our home since July 2012. Since that time she has not worked outside of the home and all she does all day is sleep or lay around.She has no compassion, no respect for our home, and no sense of reality. We have her going to Catholic Family in the Tri Cities and she has had evalutions but she is so good at pretending and her stories seem real and I do not believe she tells the truth or is somehow convincing them that she can function. I took pictures of her areas in our home yesterday. Help?

1. Dave Hawkins

Pro

2

Answered . This is not really a child custody questions. If she is unwilling to give you power of attorney over the child, the Father would have the first right to have custody over the child. Please consult with a local family law attorney because there are no easy answers here. You could file a third party custody action but you would have to prove that both the Father and the mother are unfit parents if the Father does not agree -- very difficult to accomplish.