Skip to main content

I need some answers on the deferred action please..

Fort Worth, TX |

Sooo after i graduated high school I was planning on going back to mexico since where I came from there is no crime or danger and study criminal justice over there and go to another country to continue my career, but then my mom told me about the deferred action and in a couple of weeks Ill be getting my work permit but is it worth really staying in the U.S? I personally wanna join the marines if possible but i doubt it and what are the main benefits of it? I think with an education it does not matter where you live or study... Im a bit confused.

Attorney Answers 4


Deferred action will NOT make you legal, it will just stay your removal (a/k/a deportation) from the U.S. Deferred action MAY NOT allow you join the Marines. Deferred Action WILL get you work authorization and MAYBE A DRIVER'S LICENSE. How old are you? If you are 18 or older and you leave the U.S., you are subject to the unlawful presence bar. Finally, if you leave, there is a GOOD CHANCE YOUR NOT COMING TO THE U.S. LEGALLY. So, ONCE YOUR GONE, YOUR GONE. You would be wise, a minimum, to seek my legal advice of that of one of my esteemed colleagues. You are NOT going to get your answer here. Each case is very CASE SPECIFIC. I can be reached at either (770)955-785 or via e-mail at Hope this helps. Wishing you well. THINK IMMIGRATION - THINK BOB BEER

This communication does not create an attorney client relationship. If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me at any time at either (770)955-1785 or (678)576-9394 or via e-mail at THINK IMMIGRATION - THINK BOB BEER

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

1 comment



Deferred action will get you a drivers license.. In my state which is texas and a SSN.. but thank you for your time I guess it'd be wise to use the deferred action to do my college here and nothing more.


I agree with my colleague.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

12 lawyers agree


It depends on if you're eligible and your current age. I'd recommend spending a few bucks and talking this over with a lawyer and not relying on message board advice. You only have one future and you want this issue resolved so you can plan accordingly.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


You Qualify If:

- Were under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012;

- Came to the United States before reaching your 16th birthday;

- Have continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007, up to the present time;

- You entered without inspection before June 15, 2012, or your lawful immigration status expired as of June 15, 2012

- Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making your request for consideration of deferred action With USCIS;

- Are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States; and

- Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to National security or public safety.

Note: Requests for deferred action are a case-by-case basis, and not every young immigrant will qualify. Individuals who are found to be ineligible due to criminal history, fraud in the application, or because they represent a danger to the community may be subject to removal or other immigration enforcement action. All information will be confidential.

Mark as helpful

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics