I need my husband to sign a quit claim deed on my property. He is more than willing, but the attorney I paid to do it, hasn't.

Asked over 1 year ago - Sonoma, CA

My husband has never contributed to my mortgage, and we have been separated for 3 years. I need to have him sign a quit claim deed on my property, before I die! He is willing, but I don't know how to start, and the attorney, that has already been paid, is going to hear from the CA. State Bar! I have asked her to finish for 6 years! I think that is LONG enough! She hasn't even returned my money, and she was so lousy during my previous divorce, I don't even want her involved anymore! What should I do first. I mean about the quit claim, I know how to go to the State Bar.

1. Joshua Andrew Smisko

Best Answer

Answered . You may just want to google California Grant Deed or Quit Claim deed. They are easy to complete. Find your current deed, copy the information of how your current ownership interest in the property is held (ie. Husband and Wife as Joint Tenants, etc.) and put that in one section, then in the next part, put that it is being transferred to you as your separate property. Fill in the legal description and take it to a notary to be executed and then record it. You should probably hire a new attorney to review it. It should only be a nominal fee for reviewing it if you draft it. You may want to run a title check on the property to make sure there are no issues...

2. Vincent J. Gallo

1

Answered . Firstly get a new lawyer.

3. Michael T Millar

Pro

Answered . You should retain a local real estate attorney who can prepare the deed and the other required documents to file the deed.

I am not a CA attorney, laws vary from state to state, therefore you should always consult a local attorney.

4. Peter J Weinman

Pro

Answered . 6 years is a very long time, it should be a very nicely drafted deed.