Skip to main content

I need my husband to sign a quit claim deed on my property. He is more than willing, but the attorney I paid to do it, hasn't.

Sonoma, CA |

My husband has never contributed to my mortgage, and we have been separated for 3 years. I need to have him sign a quit claim deed on my property, before I die! He is willing, but I don't know how to start, and the attorney, that has already been paid, is going to hear from the CA. State Bar! I have asked her to finish for 6 years! I think that is LONG enough! She hasn't even returned my money, and she was so lousy during my previous divorce, I don't even want her involved anymore! What should I do first. I mean about the quit claim, I know how to go to the State Bar.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    You may just want to google California Grant Deed or Quit Claim deed. They are easy to complete. Find your current deed, copy the information of how your current ownership interest in the property is held (ie. Husband and Wife as Joint Tenants, etc.) and put that in one section, then in the next part, put that it is being transferred to you as your separate property. Fill in the legal description and take it to a notary to be executed and then record it. You should probably hire a new attorney to review it. It should only be a nominal fee for reviewing it if you draft it. You may want to run a title check on the property to make sure there are no issues...

  2. 6 years is a very long time, it should be a very nicely drafted deed.

    My answer is for general purposes only and is not not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship, nor is it advice upon which you should act or rely. But, if you really want me to tell you something upon which you can actually rely: don't eat yellow snow.

  3. You should retain a local real estate attorney who can prepare the deed and the other required documents to file the deed.

    I am not a CA attorney, laws vary from state to state, therefore you should always consult a local attorney.

    If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics