I need legal representation from an employment attorney who handles Insurance matter.

Jacksonville, FL |

My employment was terminated after I was wrongfully accused as a Federal Agent when I was only an Insurance Agent. I was only getting $49 paid since I signed the contract back in January, 2013. I received a letter from Branch Sales Manager, and I felt threatened not only he told me my contract was terminated, but he also stated section in the contract stated I need to keep my mouth shut for two years by not contacting any friends which I made during my tenure. However, he did not mention he would not pay any commission for an application which I was entitled to, plus the time I spent in the office two days a week to spend hours on the phone doing prospecting. Do they have the right to tell you what to do even after the contract was terminated and not to pay you the commission?

1. There is not enough information to properly answer your question. If you had an employment contract, you will want to contact an attorney immediately to have the contract review to determine your rights. Good luck!

Disclaimer: This is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. Additionally, my answering your question does not make me your attorney or create an attorney-client relationship. The response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.

2. For a list of employment attorneys in Jacksonville go to the website of the Florida Chapter of the National Employment Lawyers Association at www.floridanela.org.

Bonnie Riggens
    Law Office of Bonita M. Riggens
    669 1st Ave. N.
    St. Petersburg, FL 33701
    Phone: 727-898-1401
    Fax: 727-823-7351

Business and Contract Law, Noncompete Agreements, Severance Agreements and Negotiations, Defamation law, Discrimination law (Age, Disability, Gender, Pregnancy, National Origin, Race, Religion), EEOC investigations and mediations, Family and Medical Leave Act law, Federal & State Employee law, State Licensing law, Overtime Law. Privacy Law, Retaliation and Whistleblower Law, Sex Harassment law, Unemployment Compensation law, Unpaid Wages law, USERRA law. Additional representation: Appellate Law, Personal Injury law