Skip to main content

I need information reqarding trustee resignation in California.

Los Angeles, CA |

How many days notice do I need to give if I resign as successor trustee?

The trust names the person to be appointed if trustee resigns, fails to serve or is unable or unwilling to serve. However, there are no further instructions on procedure to be followed.

Attorney Answers 3


You need to consult the terms of the trust to determine if you can resign and the procedure you must follow. Otherwise, you need adult beneficiary consent or court order. The applicable provision follows:

Probate Code section 15640. A trustee who has accepted the trust may resign only by one of the following methods:
(a) As provided in the trust instrument.
(b) In the case of a revocable trust, with the consent of the person holding the power to revoke the trust.
(c) In the case of a trust that is not revocable, with the consent of all adult beneficiaries who are receiving or are entitled to receive income under the trust or to receive a distribution of principal if the trust were terminated at the time consent is sought. If a beneficiary has a conservator, the conservator may consent to the trustee's resignation on behalf of the conservatee without obtaining court approval. Without limiting the power of the beneficiary to consent to the trustee's resignation, if the beneficiary has designated an attorney in fact who has the power under the power of attorney to consent to the trustee's resignation, the attorney in fact may consent to the resignation.
(d) Pursuant to a court order obtained on petition by the trustee under Section 17200. The court shall accept the trustee's resignation and may make any orders necessary for the preservation of the trust property, including the appointment of a receiver or a temporary trustee.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


It depends what the trust document says.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Some trusts do not explicitly provide a resignation protocol but, in my experience, having an attorney prepare a basic resignation of trustee document that is signed by the currently acting trustee is sufficient. In these cases, I will typically also advise that another document be prepared for the new trustee to sign in order to formally accept the appointment. The trust should be reviewed thoroughly by an estate planning attorney to see what your options are.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics