I need information on how to handle a traffic citation.

Asked about 2 years ago - Oak Creek, WI

I was involved in motorcycle accident involving a deer. I was knocked out and taken to the hospital. The officer had taken blood for alcohol. The test came back at .062. I was given a citation for failure to have my bike under control. Can i still receive a citation for under the influence ? And normally if you hit a deer,I have never heard of getting a citation for hitting a deer???

1. Michael C. Witt

Pro

8

1

Best Answer

Answered . The failure to maintain control citation is likely defensible on the facts you recite, since, as you note, sometimes an accident is just an accident. If you do not have any prior OWI convictions, are of legal drinking age, and were not on duty time with respect to the operation of a commercial motor vehicle, the .062 result will not support a prohibited alcohol concentration charge, and while it is relevant evidence of possible impairment, it is not prima facie proof of same. Pleading guilty to the FVC charge won't preclude them from issuing an OWI citation if they think there are grounds. On the other hand, if they learn something they don't already know at the trial on the FVC charge, they are free to use it to support an OWI charge. You should consult an experienced OWI defense attorney in your area, and stop posting details in this public forum. Good luck.

2. Kevin Coluccio

6

Answered . You need to consult with an attorney. Charges for driving under the influence are serious.

3. Bret A. Schnitzer

5

Answered . It has to do with your level of intoxication. They did not like that you were drinking and riding so you got the ticket. Did they suggest they would ticket you for DUI as well?

You should consult an attorney in your State at once.