I need help with trying to break tenancy agreement early. Desperate help is needed

Asked about 1 year ago - Niceville, FL

I am a British citizen living in Florida and I'm desperately trying to get back home. I moved into my apartment knowing that animals were not permitted but I had recently been divorced and needed somewhere to stay. I have a very well behaved dog but now i';m being threatened eviction and court procedures if I don't get rid of him. This apartment was meant to be just temporary but have now lived here for 5 months and have had nothing but aggro. Is there a way i can break the tenancy agreement without having to pay for the full year?

1. Edward J. Fucillo

5

Answered . If your lease agreement has an early termination clause, you can pay that amount (which cannot be more than 2 months rent) to end your lease. If there is no such clause, I recommend that you negotiate with your landlord a termination and some mutually agreeable amount that you can pay to end the lease. Most landlords have mortgages on their rental properties and cannot afford to lose money when a tenant breaches. Alternatively, you might try to find a substitute tenant who your landlord approves in order to remove you from the lease. Whatever you do, be sure you have any agreement with your landlord reduced to a written contract that is signed by both parties. I don't recommend walking away and breaching the lease. The consequences could be very expensive.

2. Peter J Weinman

Pro

2

Answered . If you are being evicted for breaking the rules, I find it unlikely the landlord would be able to also collect the unpaid balance of the years' rent. You should try to negotiate something with the landlord. He wants you out and you want out. All you need is a number that both of you can live with.

3. Shawn B Alexander

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with the previous answers and you should talk with the landlord you should be able to strike a deal. If you leave get the unit ready to rent and advertise the unit to get a new tenant in to limit your liability for the rest of the lease.
    Good Luck