I need help with a ticket.

Asked over 1 year ago - Bayside, NY

I am currently driving on a learner's permit with a licensed driver as a chaperone. This is my first ticket. I was making a left turn and did not see a pedestrian in my field of vision. As I fully made a turn I finally saw the pedestrian. I applied the brakes, but the pedestrian momentarily stopped and there was an oncoming car on my right side coming at a very high speed. Since the pedestrian stopped and the car was still oncoming at a high speed I released the brakes and drove ahead. Then an officer pulled me over and said that I didn't stop for the pedestrian. The ticket says that I had, "failed to yield right of way to the pedestrian." I tried explaining to the officer, but he just cut in and said that I didn't stop for the pedestrian. Please help. Should I plead not guilty?

1. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

6

Answered . Plead not guilty and go down with the chaperon driver and explain that you did yoield and that the pedestriam allowed you to proceed in light of the on-coming traffic.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

6

Answered . If this in NYC Traffic Court there is no plea bargaining so its plead guilty or go to trial. I suggest you retain a traffic court attorney. I know a great one if you need a referral.

3. Yefim Rubinov

6

Answered . Please consult and hire an attorney. Plead not guilty.

4. Matisyahu Wolfberg

4

Answered . Where did this happen? Everyone is innocent until proven guilty. Always plead not guilty and then consider hiring an attorney.

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.] I am licensed to practice law in the States of New York and New Jersey. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship. Please speak with a local attorney to discuss your potential legal issue

Matisyahu Wolfberg
    www.SpeedingDefense.com
    NY Traffic Ticket Defense Attorney

5. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

1

Answered . You have an excellent defense grounded in the legal doctrine of necessity, but you will need to retain counsel in order to assert that defense.