Skip to main content

I need help obtaining guardianship of my do i do this

Independence, MO |

the mother is 19---already tired of being a mother unless it fits into her social life for showing her off.
the father is 16---too young he cares more for games then caring for his daughter...
meanwhile my granddaughter is suffering...7months old ...she is just now starting too crawl the mother keeps her asleep all day so she can text all night ...she does have a part time job....but this past week she called in sick twice then went and met some other guy and didn't come home the other morning till 1;30am...the guy she was hanging with was 25 and 19 ....what do i do this baby has no daily eating /sleeping routine other than being kept up all night so her mom can chat on facebook or text then like i stated she wont get up in the morning to feed her....

Attorney Answers 2


This is not a process you should try to do youself. I would suggest you contact a family law attorney and get their advice as to how to accomplish your goals of good care and a stable home life for your granddaughter.

These type of cases do not have a simple answers and this forum is not a proper venue to obtain a complete answer.

This response is intended to be a general statement of law that should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful


Under Missouri law, a parent is the natural guardian of their child. That said,Missouri law permits a non-parent to obtain guardianship of a minor child when the parents are unable, unwilling or unfit to perform their parental responsibilities. In order to overcome the presumption that parents are fit guardians. We are all entitled to adequate guardians, we are not necessarily entitled to good parents. As such, you will have to show specific and continuing acts by the parents that go beyond "questionable parenting".

As the other poster suggested, this is not an area to delve into without professional representation. A lot is at stake, including the welfare of your grand child, as well as your relationship with your daughter. If you charge into this sort of action without competent advice and careful consideration, you may alienate your daughter and risk never seeing your grandchild again. An attorney practicing in this field in your area will be able to assist you in evaluating the merits of your case and the likelihood of success. Given the sensitive nature of the case, you will get the most benefit from scheduling a face-to-face meeting with an attorney.

NOTICE: This response should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. Absent a signed attorney/client fee agreement nothing I have said here should cause you to believe that I represent you in this or any other matter.

Mark as helpful

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics