I need help in learning my rights as a tenant in getting my deposit back from a rental I lived in for almost 7 years.

Asked over 1 year ago - Baltimore, MD

I rented a condo unit from the owner directly and for the past 6 years everything went smooth they even asked me to stay another year at times when I was prepared to move. Then 8/2012 they brought in a property management company who was a nightmare so bad I did not renew another year. They have violated my right so bad and now they are ignoring me as to try and keep my $2400 deposit. I asked to be notified of the walk through I requested it in writing. They did not notify me of the walk through and is ignoring my requests for my deposit. I lived in the unit for almost 7 years and due to how they treated me they are trying not to give me my deposit back. It has been 30 days from the day I moved out.

1. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . IF the landlord fails to return your security deposit -- or provide an itemized list of any deductions for costs actually incurred in connection with any damages which may have been caused at the property -- then you have grounds for a civil suit for up to 3x the amount of the security deposit plus attorneys fees. Maryland law allows a landlord 45 days within which to return a security deposit. Feel free to contact my office if, after 45 days, it has not been returned.

2. Debra Sue Friedman

Answered . Assuming you gave proper notice to terminate the lease, you are entitled to a written itemization of damages the cost of which the landlord intends to withhold from your security deposit. The landlord has 45 days to provide such a notice. Did you provide your forwarding address to the landlord?

3. Rixon Charles Rafter III

1

Answered . "The security deposit, plus interest, but less any damages rightfully withheld, must be returned within 45 days of your notice. If the landlord fails to return the security deposit, you have the right to sue for up to three times the deposit, plus reasonable attorney's fees."
    See http://www.oag.state.md.us/Consumer/landlords.h...

4. George Costas Andriotis

Answered . In Florida a deposit cannot be kept unless and until proper notice is given to the tenant.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.