Skip to main content

I need help from someone physically abusing me, went to police..

Orlando, FL |

It started when I was about 6 my mom would rip my sister and I's hair out, one day my dad finally called the cops on my mom and she went to jail for child abuse. My moms boyfriend hit me square in the face October 2011 and just recently my mother hit me in the shoulder. I never wanted to call the police because I don't want anyone to go to jail or prison, I only have one mother, and I will not have any place to live. My boyfriend has really been there for me working my courage to do something about the abuse. I finally worked up the courage to call the police to make a report. I called today and a dispatcher was sent to my location. When I told him everything, he didn't believe me and I started crying. He said there is nothing he can do for me and said "Good day".

Is there anything I can do, I am so hurt by this, all I am thinking is what if one day my mother or her boyfriend goes in another rage and actually kills me, then the police will realize I'm not joking? I don't know what to do. ***going to the police was my last option as I have already went to an abuse organization (Harbor House) they said I can talk to them but there is nothing else they can do for me, I have a counselor that actually counsels my mother and I separately for 6 yrs, but things have only gotten worse.******

Attorney Answers 6

  1. All that you can do is to tell the truth and report abuse. This is a legal website. There is not always a legal solution to a problem. Sometimes, you have to be creative. There are so many other resources for abused children, etc. Use your intelligence to get in contact with the right resource to match your needs. Good luck.

    Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando/Longwood/Central Florida)

    Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.

  2. File a report with DCF by calling the hotline? Speak to a teacher or counselor at school? There are other options out there.

    You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

  3. Try talking to a counselor at school or your school resource officer. These individuals are there to help you.

    You can get a free consultation by calling 407-617-1064. Please understand that the information given is not to be construed as legal advice. More information would be needed in order to make a more accurate legal determination on your matter. Furthermore, an attorney-client relationship does not begin until a retainer agreement has been signed by the attorney and client.

  4. To report child abuse, you can call this hotline: Call 1-800-962-2873. Press 1 to report suspected abuse, neglect or abandonment of a child. (

    Also, speak to your teachers and/or counselors at school, who are mandatory reports.

    Usually, once a child report is submitted, the next step is an investigation by DCF Child protective Investigator (CPI). The CPI will file a report and determine what needs to be done.

    This response does not establish an attorney-client relationship. This response does not constitute legal advice.

  5. I agree with my colleagues. You do not have to wait for someone else to call DCF on your behalf, a child can call. Call (800)96-ABUSE and a DCF investigator can come to your home to see what is going on.

  6. Call DCF immediately in your area. Also tell your high school counselor and principal. They have a duty to report any abuse to the authorities. If you know the school resource officer tell them as well that you are in fear for your life. Do not take no for an answer. Is there any other family you can go live with? A friends parents?

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics