I need help finding a pro bono criminal appeals lawyer.

Asked about 5 years ago - Washington, DC

I am a trying to help my brother file for an appeal from a murder case he was charged with at the age of 17 in DC in 1998. He has been in prison since. I have received his transcripts from the jury trial. However, I don't understand nor see how he was found guilty. He was charged as an adult, 1st degree murder. There are several mishaps with the case. No weapon, no eye witness, nothing placing him at the scene of the crime. The "witness" statements they do have were taken several months later and changed several times. The witness were pending charges themselves and took plea bargins. Reading through the transcripts, all 430 pages leads you to believe he's innocent. He had a public defender. What is the best course of action and least expensive?

Additional information

Also, he was sentenced Life with chance of parole in 2020 I believe. He was originally jailed in Lorton, VA. That prison was closed and got pushed into the federal systems. Any help or definative guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Ewen E Allison

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . I concur with my colleague that the Innocence Project maybe a good place to start. It is probably too late to file for an appeal as such, but if this is a case before D.C. Superior Court, you can try filing a motion in that court to have a retrial on grounds of ineffective assistance of counsel. You should have an attorney help you with this. My rates are reasonable.

  2. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You might check with the Innocence Project


    Good luck to you.

    God bless.

    NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Dennis James Dressler

How much do I tell my lawyer?

Start by telling your lawyer what you are charged with and when you are due to appear in court. From that point on I suggest that you let your lawyer ask you questions and you answer those... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,491 answers this week

3,392 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,491 answers this week

3,392 attorneys answering