Skip to main content

I Need help finding a pro bono appellate attorny for my boyfriend asap

White Plains, NY |

My boyfriend was found guilty by jurors in his trial. And we dont understand how they found him guilty when a witness that was at the scene of the crime confessed to being the responsible party and stating that my boyfriend had no knowledge of the crime that was being committed and my boyfriend did not posses any of the evidence charged against him. So he wants to appeal the charges but we need a lawyer for appeals. And we have more witnesses that was not able to testify at the trial willing to come forward to say what happened. Its basically the police testomony against his and he has been railroaded by the court system. We believe the jurors did not convict him by the evidence in the case but by the testomony in the case in which the police officers admited to making several mistakes..

Attorney Answers 4

  1. If he is indigent, he can apply to the appellate court for assignment of appellate counsel. As for the new witnesses, you will need to show that this evidence could not have been produced at the trial with the use of due dilligence.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  2. If he cannot afford an attorney he can get one appointed to him for the appeal as well. It's doubtful that you would fine a private attorney that would take it pro bono.

  3. He has the absolute right to free counsel, either through the public defender's office in the county of conviction, or through the Assigned Counsel Program. You can apply by filing a "poor person" motion with the appropriate appellate division.

  4. If this happened in Westchester County call the Legal Aid Society of Westchester County. He will only be assigned an attorney if he is under the income threshold. If he had an assigned attorney they should assign him one for an appeal. He should also ask his trial lawyer to help. If he cannot get an assigned counsel no private attorney will do it for free.

Pro bono representation topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics