I need help, how do I find out what is in a revokable trust to see if it can help my mom??

Asked over 1 year ago - Orlando, FL

My parents had a trust made in 2008, at that time my dad was showing signs of dementia and my mom had a brain anurysm which she was unable to read. My step dads daughter set the whole thing up and had my parentes sign all power of atty over to her, my mom had no clue what she signed real quick after my dad was diagnosed with alzheimers and his daughter and her power of atty started to liquidate everything they own cars, apliances, she took the whole marital check book and took my dad to Texas and fought and won guardianship. he is still married to my mom and was in the navy for 35 years. they both contributed to thier retirement. my mom has not recieved a penny since 2009 when my dad left. is there a way to figure out what might be in this trust to see if it can help her she is desperate.

1. Stephanie Sauer Woods

Pro

4

Answered . You need to hire an attorney experienced in estate planning, trust administration and possibly guardianship law. Do you have a copy of the trust? If not, do you know the attorney who prepared it? Is your mom competent?
    This is not something that I would recommend you do pro se. It is better to have an attorney involved that knows the law and how it needs to be applied to this particular situation.

2. Carol Anne Johnson

3

Answered . Hire a competent trusts litigation attorney - IMMEDIATELY. There is nothing that an on-line forum can do to help you with a matter this serious!

3. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

4

1

Answered . Yes, you need to hire an attorney to contact the trustee and start asking questions. Either the trustee will comply voluntarily or they will not. If they will not comply on their own, you will need to go to court to compel an accounting of the trust (and perhaps agent of the POA) and perhaps ask for the trustee to be removed.

4. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

Answered . You need a probate/trust litigation attorney immediately.