I need help. Termination for unintentional breach of confidentiality.

This company is a fortune 50 company. Confidentiality was broken without knowing. I can get the policy which has alot of grey areras. I also understand that a company can fire an employee and not give you a chance to prove your innocence or their reason with proof. So I am determined to find a law that they did break and prove wrongful termination. This happened in October 2010 so I believe we can do this very easily. I am hoping that I can find a great lawyer who would love to put this company in the paper and prove that this was wrongful termination in which laws were broken.

Mauldin, SC -

Pamela Koslyn

Pamela Koslyn

Business Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

"Wrongful termination" doesn't mean what it sounds like. It's a term used to mean termination in violation of anti-discrimination laws (which protect employees from discrimination due to their age, race, gender, ancesrry, religion or disability) you, or in violation of public policy, such as retaliation for "whistle-blowing." It doesn't mean mean termination that the employee thinks is wrongful.

Most employment in the U.S. is "at will," which means that the employer can fire the employee at any time without notice for any reason, whether confidentiality is breached or not, and no, they don't need a good reason, or any reason.

If you had a written employment contract, or there was a written contract re: conifdentiality, you may be able to make an argument that the company violated its own stated policies, but it's difficult.

Prepare a chronological list with names and dates of everything you experienced and witenssed (with 3rd party witnesses as well) and take that and your confidentiality contract to an employment ilitigator to fully disclose and discuss your situation.

Disclaimer: I'm only licensed in CA. Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Bryant Keith Martin

Bryant Keith Martin

Business Attorney - Santa Barbara, CA

Nobody at AVVO can help based on what you've told us. You are evidently an at-will employee, so you can be fired without any reason as long as you are not a member of a protected group against whom it is illegal to discriminate, e.g., gender, age, race, creed etc. You should find that great lawyer and tell him what the basis of your claim is.
DISCLAIMER—This answer is for informational purposes only under the AVVO system, its terms and conditions. It is not intended as specific legal advice regarding your question. The answer could be different if all the facts were known. This answer does not establish an attorney client relationship. I am admitted only in California.
(Bryant) Keith Martin
sbbizlaw.com