I need full custody of my kids

Asked over 2 years ago - Omaha, NE

I am not married Domestic violence was in my home for about a year or so the cops came and they notified the child protective services I comlpeted my half of what they required of me He has not done anything on his part I want to get full custody of my children in case something happens to me i do not want my kids to go to him I want my family to take them he has drug and anger issues and they do not need to be around that stuff there is not courts involved this is all volunterley on my part

1. Ryan Douglas Caldwell

1

Answered . You don't explain whether the father is your husband or not. If this is a situation where you are not married and there has been no order of paternity entered establishing him as the father, you technically already have full custody.

If you are married, you would need to file a divorce or legal separation in order to have the court award you full custody.

Whether the children would be placed with their father or other family if you are no longer around, would be up to the court and the situation at the time. If the father is deemed not fit to have custody, the children would likely be placed with other relatives until the father is able to become fit or has his parental rights terminated.

You should hire yourself an attorney right away to review your situation and retain your full custody and child support rights. Good luck!

2. Brendan Michael Kelly

Pro

Answered . Get a lawyer and file for custody. He can contest it but does not appear that he is likely to do anything.