I need counsel on how to proceed with a small claims court issue involving roommate's unpaid utility disputes.

Asked about 1 year ago - Las Vegas, NV

Sparing the ugly details of the degradation of my relationship with one of my lifelong friends, I've reached a proverbial impasse with this individual. Prior to this dispute, this roommate was planning to leave the apartment without vacating in the proper manner of removing himself from our lease. Ultimately, he decided to stay and had tried to negotiate with me on paying his portion of the rent for the month to which I refused. He refuses to now pay his portion of the electricity bill (in my name) for this month (June 2013) and next month as well.
I have written emails from him stating his refusal to pay. I don't want to proceed with a Small Claims case because I feel it would be a waste of time, but I refuse to allow him to bail on his obligations.

1. Thomas O. Moens

Answered . If he refuses to pay, there really is no other way to compel him to pay other than to sue him. However, as you have surmised, it might very well be a waste of time. Not only will you need to pay filing fees and spend a few delightful hours at the courthouse, but then you will need to collect. If he is unable to pay a portion of an electric bill, he might be judgment proof. I would suggest you take some time to consider the tableaux of your relationship, since it obviously has some importance to you, and determine whether this amount of money is worth terminating it.