Skip to main content

I need an increase in alimony, What do I use to show proof?

Warren, NJ |
Filed under: Divorce Alimony

Ex's income has increased quite a bit. Everything costs more today. Lifestyle is no where near what it was during marriage.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The short answer is that you will need to show a material change in circumstances warranting a modification of alimony. Just because your ex's income has gone up does not mean that you are entitled to a modification, nor the fact that things cost more. It will also depend on the language of your Agreement or Judgment regarding possible future modification of alimony, as well as increasing costs, etc. You will at the very least have to prepare a new matrimonial Case Information Statement and submit it, together with the CIS from the original divorce, showing that your expenses have increased, what your income is, etc. I suggest that you speak with a matrimonial attorney about the basis for an increase in your alimony.

NOTE: This answer is made is for advisory and/or educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site, or posting a question and obtaining an answer, you understand that no attorney-client relationship is being established between you and the answering attorney, and there is no attorney-client privilege between you and the attorney. You should consult with a licensed professional attorney in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. The information provided in this answer is designed to be general in nature and is based on the facts stated in your question, and might change based on further information.


Mr. Kroll's advice is on the spot. Increases are available but the terms of your agreement and the reasons you are seeking an increase will be of critical importance.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer