Skip to main content

I need an immigration attorney fora green card sponsorship for my parents.

Hilliard, OH |
Filed under: Immigration Green cards

I have recently became a US Citizen. My parents are in Pakistan with a 20 year old dependent who in turning 21 in October of this year. If I file for my parents right now before the dependent turns 21, will they be able to bring the dependent with them even after his 21st birthday? In other words, if I file the petition before the dependents 21st birthday, will he still be accounted as a dependent after his 21st birthday since the application was filled prior to him turning 21?

Attorney Answers 3


U.S. immigration law does not allow dependents for "immediate relatives". The petition you would be filing for your parents would be in the immediate relative category (parent of a U.S. citizen), so while that would allow them to immigrate faster than other categories, it unfortunately would not permit them to have a dependent on their applications. This is the case regardless of your brother's age. If your parents immigrate, they can then file a petition on behalf of your brother. As it is very unlikely they will become residents prior to October, they will need to petition him in the F-2B ("Unmarried Sons and Daughters (21 years of age or older) of Permanent Residents") category. Currently, this category is taking about 7 years for visa availability. Note that your brother would need to stay single to be eligible for this classification, at least until your parents can become citizens. Hope this helps, best of luck!

Representing Clients in All 50 States -- Khurgel Immigration Law Firm -- Attorney Khurgel is a Former USCIS and Department of State Embassy Officer. Address: 4199 Campus Drive, Suite 550 Irvine, CA 92612. Email: Office: (949) 509-6515 Direct: (949) 535-6331 Fax: (949) 509-6599. Kindly note that this posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Remember, this site is akin to an internet blog. Do not rely on information here to make important decisions in your life. Make an appointment to meet with a licensed attorney in his or her office (or via Skype or phone) to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


There are no dependents on petitions for parents.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Find a good immigration attorney on Avvo in your area.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics