Skip to main content

I need an estimate of jail time please help me out I need and estimate! My dads in jail

East Haven, CT |

He is currently in jail unsentenced on 4 larceny 6th degree charges a ill motorvechile charge and evade-real property damage also 2nd degree burglary and 2nd degree larceny also he has a use of drug para 1/2

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


From the facts provided, it is impossible to estimate what the final sentence would be as there are far too many variables that could come into play. Some of the charges may be dropped (the state enters a "nolle prosequi" which means the charge won't be prosecuted anymore), one or more charges can be reduced in seriousness, one or more sentences may be run concurrent to each other (at the same time), one or more may be consecutive to each other (a sentence begins after he finishes the prior one), or he may get a suspended sentence on one, some or all of the charges followed by a period of probation. Without knowing the facts of the arrest, his record, the nature of any plea negotiations, etc., it is impossible to tell. However, the maximum potential sentences on each count are:

Burglary 2nd (Class C felony): incarceration of not less than one year and up to ten years (the one year can be suspended) and up to $10,000 in fines, or both;

Larceny 2nd (Class C felony): incarceration of not less than one year and up to ten years (the one year can be suspended) and up to $10,000 in fines, or both;

Larceny 6th degree (class C misdemeanor) : up to three months incarceration or a $500 fine, or both.

Drug paraphernalia (for use with more than 4 oz of marijuana or any amount of any other drug) (C misdemeanor): up to three months incarceration or a fine up to $500. If this possession is within 1000 feet of a school, the penalty goes up;

Evading responsibility, it depends on how badly injured the person(s) was: it is either incarceration from one to ten years, a $10,000 fine or both (serious injuries) or up to one year of incarceration, a fine not less than $75 but not more than $600, or both (for an injury or property damage). If he was convicted more than once before of either one of these charges, the penalties go up.

I don't know what you mean by the charge "ill motor vehicle".

Brian S. Karpe, Esq. (860) 242-2221 Note: This response DOES NOT constitute legal advice and therefore no specific action should be taken in reliance thereon. No attorney-client relationship is created through this response. You should speak to an licensed attorney in your state who is competent to answer your question before taking any action with regard to this question.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer