I need an entertainment lawyer willing to look over a few single song publishing contracts pro bono. Please help?

I'm a struggling songwriter based in LA. There are 3 contracts. Each 4 pages long. All from one company so each contract is the same. Overall pretty basic. I just need them reviewed to make sure there's nothing I'm missing.

1. I understand you are struggling but you expect a stranger to give you hundreds of dollars worth of services? ...there may be some musician organizations that may help...

This is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship nor shall any of this information be construed as providing legal advice. Laws change over time and differ from state to state. These answers are based on California Law.Applicability of the legal principles discussed may differ substantially in individual situations. You should not act upon the information presented herein without consulting an attorney about your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship is established.

2. Pro bono? Call UCLA law school and ask if a law student might help you. Or call the Lawyers for the Arts, a volunteer group. You will likely get about what you pay for, but beggars can't always be choosers. Good Luck.

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.

3. Are you willing to assign all the copyrights, title and interest in all of your compositions over to the attorney that represents you? If you want the attorney who represents you to work for free then why shouldn't you work for free too?

4. Pro bono means free. Seriously? the project "songs" is for profit why would anyone work for free. As mentioned by colleagues, may be an association or learning institution has volunteers or low cost/low income programs.

Good luck

In addition to AVVO's disclaimer, please note that by this answer no attorney client relationship is intended mor entered into and unless there is a signed retainer agreement in place, neither me nor anyone in our office has intended to solicit clients nor reprints them. The answers are general in nature and without weighing specifics of particular query. No answer should be relied on in whole or in part, directly or otherwise to act or not to act in pursue of any of your potential claims in law or equity. You should consult with and obtain advise or representation of an attorney to protect your rights regarding your case or matter.

5. Call volunteer lawyers for the arts. That's what they do.

This post does not create an attorney-client relationship between my firm and the asker. In all events, the asker is well advised to secure advice from an attorney with experience in the area covered by the question asked. This answer is posted for general purposes only.

6. Food for thought. Would you jump into an argument with two strangers? What would motivate you? Now, imagine that it was your job to jump in. You'd expect to get paid for doing your job.

If you absolutely refuse to pay cash, then you should be seeking to give the attorney a portion of your advance, a percentage of the residual income, and percentage of your music/entertainment related income. Good lawyers aren't cheap, and typically cheap lawyers aren't good.

You will likely continue to struggle if you're not willing to compensate people for protecting your interests.

Please note that the above posting does not constitute legal advice, does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and Attorney Alston or McAlpine PLLC, and you are encouraged to consult with a licensed attorney in your state. www.McAlpinePLLC.com 704.287.6160 if you have more questions

Entertainment law topics