Skip to main content

I need an attorney to discuss Wills, Life insurance policies etc.

Santee, CA |

My father passed away April 30, 2013 in Las Vegas, Nevada. I believe my eldest half sister is the executor she refuses to let anyone see the will. I was able to contact the courts records department and order a certified copy of my fathers will. Also the life insurance policy has only my half sister as the beneficiary. My mother found this online "If you live in a community property state - (Arizona, California, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington or Wisconsin) your spouse may have a legal claim for a portion of the life insurance benefit under state law. If you name someone other than your spouse as beneficiary, payment of the life insurance benefit may be delayed until your spouse's claim is resolved. If you make the beneficiary someone other than your spouse, it may be a good i

Attorney Answers 3


I agree that you need to find a qualified probate attorney in Nevada and most likely one in the Las Vegas area. Look on this site or contact the local bar association. Life insurance policies are contracts, and an attorney will need to review the specific language of the beneficiary designations. A qualified attorney will also be able to help you keep the process fair since your sister is not forthcoming with information.

If this answer is helpful or you feel it is the best answer, please click that option. This response is for general informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the answers by the named attorney do not create an attorney-client relationship between said attorney and the user or browser.

Mark as helpful

7 lawyers agree


If the estate is being probated in Nevada, you will want to contact an attorney in Nevada. In addition to getting a copy of the will you will want a copy of the Petition for Probate, if any, filed with the court. The life insurance policy will have to be reviewed by an attorney before it can be determined if your mother is entitled to anything from it.

Mark as helpful

9 lawyers agree


Use the Find a Lawyer link on this website to find a probate attorney in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.

Mark as helpful

7 lawyers agree

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics