I need an attorney for filing bankruptcy; I was curious how much it would cost me.

Virginia Beach, VA |

I was quoted around $1000.00 USD from one lawyer, however I was wondering if there was a cheaper way to file bankruptcy being that I am kind of short on money. Please help if possible. Thank you.

There may be cheaper options out there but you have to keep in mind what you are paying for. Bankruptcy is a very complicated and detailed endeavor in which you need an experienced attorney. The relief you may obtain is very powerful in that you may be discharging thousands in debt. If you don't have an attorney or choose one with a cheap pricetag who does not have extensive knowledge of the process you could jeopardize your ability to get the relief you need. Good luck.

The author’s comments are not to be construed as rendering a legal opinion nor proffering legal advice. To obtain legal advice or a legal opinion, you should retain an attorney to consult with you on your particular matter.

$1000 is a very low fee. Rather than look for the cheapest lawyer, you may want to look at the skill and experience of the lawyer you are considering hiring. If you found a competent lawyer willing to do your case for $1000, that's great.

I think $1,000 is on the low side for competent representation. You will get what you pay for. Cut-rate work can easily cost you thousands of dollars in lost assets. If you're the sort of person who would hire the cheapest surgeon to operate on your child, then by all means hire the cheapest lawyer. Otherwise, don't.

There is a saying that you get what you are paying for. I would not go with the cheapest attorney because he might do more damage than good in your bankruptcy filing. In a lot of jurisdictions the attorney's fees are set by the court. For example in Lee and Collier Counties the average attorney's fees for Chapter 7 bankruptcy is $1,500. The average attorney's fees for Chapter 13 bankruptcy is $3,500 and up, depending on the complexity of your case.
Many of the bankruptcy attorneys offer a free initial consultation where you can meet with the attorney and inquire about his/her fees.
If you would like to schedule a free consultation and evaluate your legal options, you can contact us at 239-443-1094 or www.martinlawfirm.com. We have offices in Cape Coral, Fort Myers, and Naples.

The unfortunate thing about using price as a deciding factor in choosing an attorney is the client often does is focusing on their initial goal which is get rid of debt. The reality is their ultimate goal is actually to recover their credit. Hiring a cheap attorney seems like a frugal response to an out-of-control credit situation that has landed one in the lap of a bankruptcy. However, how well a bankruptcy is done and the guidance an attorney can give on rebuilding and post-bankruptcy secrets to faster recovery can be invaluable. It is far more expensive to languish with credit problems and a slow recovery. Choose an attorney that does more than filing bankruptcy because what you are trying to do is more than just get rid of the debt. If not, then file it yourself. It is the cheapest way to go but you may lose property and have a lot of difficulty. My point is price should not be the sole determining factor. For more on this I am doing a live streaming event online this coming Monday at 6:30 p.m. For more details visit www.mernalaw.com. I hope this insight helps.

This answer in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. The answer is not a complete answer and requires additional facts in order to provide the best options. The submitter accepts the risk of relying on such an incomplete answer and waives any claims of damages for doing so. As stated in the answer the submitter should contact a qualified bankruptcy attorney is discuss these issues further before any action is taken. Any action taken without advise and counsel of a qualified attorney is inadvisable.

If this is for a Chapter 7, yes, this is on the low side. But if this for a Chapter 13, even lower. You might be able to structure timing of your bankruptcy filing so that you will not have to pay for another large monthly bill that is coming up, for example a mortgage or truck note, and use that money to pay for the fees and costs. Good luck in finding someone to help.